UPS – Making a mockery of me one delivery at a time

You may have noticed things have been a little quiet on the UPS story front. Actually, things have been fairly consistent with my deliveries, so I haven’t had much to complain about. Well there was one incident that I let go during the snow season where a package got delayed and arrived one week past the estimated delivery date, and I was pretty riled up over that, but I didn’t want to hear people complain that I was hard on these people in incliment weather, even though the package was delayed well past the bad weather. Oh well.

Today, I’m here to tell you the latest. It’s one I just noticed and is hot off the presses, so to speak.

Last week, I got an insane deal on amazon for a copy of Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective for Nintendo DS, a game that I’ve had my eye on for a couple of months now. Games like this have a tendency of going out of print, so when I was able to find it for under $15, I jumped right on the purchase. Things were going good, and delivery was attempted on this past Friday. The driver left an infonotice which I signed and placed on my door this morning. In the past, I’ve gotten on them about not leaving the packages because some drivers do and some don’t, but I wasn’t in a rush to get this, so I didn’t sweat having to wait the weekend for it.

I got into work today and tracked the package. Here’s what I saw:

The latest scan of the package implies that I called UPS to arrange for me to pick up the package. I didn’t.

So I called one of my contacts, Gina, at the local facility. I have a direct line to someone who can speak directly with the drivers and can physically interact with my packages, so I figured why not contact them and see what was happening.

Gina picked up, and I explained what was going on. She asked for the tracking number, and I gave it to her. She keyed it in and verified that I never made a phone call to arrange for pickup. I was calm and collected with her on the phone and stressed that I just wanted the driver to leave it and not to have to pick it up. I had no idea what was going on. From her tone, I think she was more surprised than I was.

I’m still waiting to hear back, but I’d say there’s a 25% chance it will be dropped off by the driver, a 25% chance I have to go pick it up, and a 50% chance that someone at UPS stole it.

C’mon UPS, lets get on the ball and stop with this stupid crap. What would have happened if I stopped tracking it and waited for tonight? That’s right I would have called everyone I could at UPS and made a big stink. Just stick to your job of taking something from one place to another and stop being cute, and I’m sure things will look up for you and your business.

I will stress that any time I ever need to ship something, UPS is the last carrier I consider. I would pay anybody else to ship it for me, even a bum on the street, and I’m not even kidding.


One thought on “UPS – Making a mockery of me one delivery at a time

  • derryX

    UPDATE: (with the Unsolved Mysteries UPDATE music playing) according to the tracking information, the package has been delivered, and I didn’t need to pick it up.


Leave a Reply