Chipotle in Schenectady – TBA
This is kind of a new thing for me, being informed about new restaurants before they open. I received word that the very first Chipotle location in Schenectady is opening on Tuesday, November 29 at Mansion Square Commons, a hop, skip, and jump away from Mohawk Commons.
Fans of derryX.com know that I regularly dine at Chipotle, as it fits well within the parameters of how I like to eat while I am working out. I am glad to have been informed about this new location.
Here are a few of the highlights (copied) from the press release I received:
- This year Chipotle expects to use over 10 million pounds of produce from local family (within 350 miles) farms throughout the 2011 growing season, up from 5 million pounds in 2010.
- All the pork, beef and chicken Chipotle serves is naturally and humanely raised.
- Sour cream and cheeses are made from milk that is rBGH-free (recombinant bovine growth hormone)…35 percent is from pasture-raised cows.
- 40 percent of the black and pinto beans that Chipotle purchases are organically grown with about 5 percent using conservation tilling methods.
- While all Chipotle restaurants use similar materials to achieve a sparse, clean, urban look, no two are alike.
All of these factors, which I already had an idea about, should make you feel good. There is a food revolution right now. Farm-fresh and local, sustainable agriculture is making progress, and it is places like Chipotle that are helping to facilitate this.
UPDATE: 11-28-11 – Today was the scheduled soft opening during which the bloggers contacted to promote the event were invited to try the new location. Wendy tried going earlier this afternoon for lunch and was turned away since gas and electric work is not complete. An updated email message from the press team confirms this, but gives no word on when the opening will occur. Hopefully soon…